Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review Pal - Visual Studio 2008 Plug-In, Continues...

It 's been more than a year, since I published the first version of my .Net code review add-in, ReviePal for Visual studio back in November 2009 (here). Since then I always wanted to put some time on this to do some enhancements and share it with others. After all this time, I found some spare time for this recently and did some modifications to it. I think a set of screen shots would explain it better.

1.Active the ReviewPal Add-in / Reopen the ReveiwPal tool review list


2. Review entries


3.Update review summary


4.Save review details.


5. Saved review pal visible on from a browser.
The main feature added in this version (other than the tool menu item and nice icons), is instead of having two features,

1. Save the review list to a XML file
2. Export review list to a html file.
Now I have merged the two things together as SAVE, so that user doesn't need to maintain two files, but all in the same html file universally accessible on a browser. This update to the Visual Studio 2008 version was done , because I'm working on to move this forward as a Extension for Visual Studio 2010. For anyone to use this add-in with Visual Studio 2008, you can download it from here. Contact me if anyone needs the source code.

stay tuned for the Visual Studio 2010 Extension soon.


8 comments:

  1. Hello,

    First of all, congratulations for this great add-in. It has been quite helpful.
    Is it possible for you to send the source code to me? My email is prb2410@gmail.com.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Pedro Barbosa
    Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it's all open sourced at Codeplex :).
    http://reviewpal.codeplex.com/

    both Visual Studio 2008 plug-in as well as the Visual Studio 2010 Extension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had already went to your codeplex page, but I didnt't saw the source code tab.
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I am unable to compile the ReviewPal code.
    I get the following errors:

    Error 3 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' does not contain a definition for 'GetSerializedXml' and no extension method 'GetSerializedXml' accepting a first argument of type 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\Tools\reviewpal-8368\trunk\ReviewPal2008\UI\ReviewWindow.cs ReviewPal

    Error 4 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' does not contain a definition for 'LoadFromXml' and no extension method 'LoadFromXml' accepting a first argument of type 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\Tools\reviewpal-8368\trunk\ReviewPal2008\UI\ReviewWindow.cs 365 66 ReviewPal

    Can you help me?
    Thanks in advance.
    Pedro Barbosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Error 3 is incomplete.
    Here it is again.

    Error 3 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' does not contain a definition for 'GetSerializedXml' and no extension method 'GetSerializedXml' accepting a first argument of type 'ReviewPal.Core.ReviewRepository' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\Tools\reviewpal-8368\trunk\ReviewPal2008\UI\ReviewWindow.cs 313 50 ReviewPal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I committed the corrected code for VS 2008. I have done some updates to VS 2010 version which was the cause of this build issue in VS 2008 source code.(I am not really maintaining updates for VS 2008 version since I don't even have VS 2008 installed on my development machine)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I have installed ReviewPal for VS2012. I would like to use this for adding comments. I think I need a existing REviewPal file for this. Could you please help me how to add a comment. Probbaly i am missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need an existing ReviewPal file because you can create new one by adding new comments and saving it.
      Just click on the line which u want to comment on, and click the "Add new review comment icon". (hope you have opene up the ReviewPal window from VS Manu, Tool--> ReviewPal)

      Delete